The Gospel reading is chosen by the priest and will often form the basis for the homily which follows it. Given below are a selection of Gospel readings that may be used.
For each Gospel reading, we give the Bible reference and a one line summary statement of that Gospel. For example, “Matthew 5:1-12” can be found in the Gospel of Matthew, chapter 5, verses 1 to 12. If you do not have access to a Bible, you can search online for these passages.
We recommend http://www.seraphim.my/bible/jb/jb-nt%20content.htm
Please note that there are various translations of the Gospels and the one used will be that from the Mass Lectionary in the church. If you want to include the Gospel text in a booklet, please consult the priest before the booklet is produced to ensure that the correct text is used.
- Matthew 5:1-12 Rejoice and be glad, for your reward will be great in heaven.
- Matthew 11:25-30 Come to me, and I will give you rest.
- Matthew 25:1-13 The bridegroom is here! Go out and meet him.
- Matthew 25:31-46 Come, you whom my Father has blessed.
- Mark 15:33-39; 16:1-6 Jesus gave a loud cry and breathed his last.
- Luke 7:11-17 Young man, I tell you to get up.
- Luke 12:35-40 Stand ready.
- Luke 23:33. 39-43 Today you will be with me in paradise.
- Luke 23:44-46. 50. 52-53. 24:1-6 Father, into your hands I commend my spirit.
- Luke 24:13-35 Was it not ordained that the Christ should suffer and enter into his glory?
- John 5:24-29 Whoever listens to my words and believes has passed from death to life.
- John 6:37-40 Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, and I shall raise him up on the last day.
- John 6:51-58 Anyone who eats this bread has eternal life, and I shall raise him up on the last day.
- John 11:17-21 I am the resurrection and the life.
- John 11:32-45 Lazarus, come out.
- John 12:23-28 If a grain of wheat dies, it yields a rich harvest.
- John 14:1-6 There are many rooms in my Father’s house.
- John 17:24-26 I want them to be with me where I am
- John 19:17-18. 25-30 Bowing his head he gave up his spirit.